New Note May 8, 2019: I have updated information below where needed and appropriate.
New Note June 13, 2015: I have changed the name of this blog from Karlsmyeloma to Karl&Myeloma in order to disown the myeloma that heretofore I had claimed as mine. It is not mine; it is not from God. It is the work of the devil and I do not own it and I reject it and I want it gone from my body.
Hi! Allow me to introduce myself: I’m Karl. I am Kathleen’s husband for 41 years and father of two grown children, Kirsten and Kristofor. I am active in the Episcopal Church. I am a scientist having graduated with a BS degree in chemistry from Stevens Institute of Technology and a MS degree in pharmaceutical marketing from Long Island University Arnold & Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy. I’ve worked in the pharmaceutical industry most of my life and I understand the science of drugs used in cancer therapy.
I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma on March 23, 2012 and the purpose of this blog is to provide a place for me to share my experiences and history with this disease.
My approach is currently six-fold (I am open to others): I am being cared for by
- a hematologist oncologist – Warren
- a family physician – Leslie
- a chiropractor – Neil,
- a massage therapist – Margot,
- equally importantly, members of The Order of St. Luke the Physician from the Chapel of St. Andrew especially Emily Nell, Cheryl, Lillian, Catherine, Liz, Marcy, Danielle, Deacon Faye and Fr. Charles – who are using God’s healing powers through the saving grace of Jesus Christ,
- my sister Marjie and her husband, John, and
- my most loving, most supportive, most everything wife, Kathleen and my two children, Kirsten and Kris.
You’ll see these names come up in my posts. I’ll first go back and put in some of the information leading to my current status and then continue from there.
For those of you new to this blog, it starts on February 6, 2012, when I first noticed some pain in my right shoulder.